Wednesday, July 2, 2014

blackberry chia seed pie.


My first pie(s)! I was inspired by a pie recipe on the first year blog but made a few changes to the presentation & filling.  I love chia seeds (because they are so good for you) that I add them to everything and luckily it worked out will with the pie.




Crust
1 cup flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, cut into small cubes
1 egg yoke
1 tbsp soy milk


Mix the flour, powdered sugar, baking powder and salt together.
Cut the butter into small cubes and add them to the mix too. Mix it all together with your hands.
Add the egg yolk and soy milk in as well. Once the dough is mixed, form a ball, wrap it and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Not longer as it will get hard. 

Preheat over to 350 degrees F.


Filling
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries (organic)
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp chia seeds

Egg Wash
1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar for sprinkling on top


In a medium bowl, mix the fruit, sugar, cinnamon, flour and chia seeds together.

Next, take your dough out of the fridge and (if you're making 4 mini pies like me) section it into 5 pieces. 4 for each crust and the extra for your star cut outs.  I didn't use a rolling pin for this recipe at all, I just used my fingers to mold the pie crust into the pie pan. I did add a little extra flour, but it was too sticky to use the rolling pin. Fingers worked just fine.

Split your fruit filling into your four mini pies and flatten out your extra piece of dough. Using a variety of star cookie cutters, start cutting out different stars in whatever size you like and mix and match till you get a design you like. I got my cookie cutters at Sur La Table for $6. 

After you're happy with your stars, use your egg wash and brush a thin coat on top and sprinkle with sugar. I didn't use nearly as much as the recipe suggests, but it's your world. 

Now just pop them in the oven for 20 minutes, 
let them cool enough to take them out of the mold and serve up your festive pies!



No comments:

Post a Comment