Wednesday, December 14, 2011

cool city christmas cards. DIY.

Hey! Do you live in a cool city? Do you tend to move around a lot? Do you like to make cards?
Me too!

I'm originally fom Ohio.  I spent a few years in Chicago <3 and now I live in New York. 
This year, I knew that I wanted to make my own cards & I knew that I wanted to them have some relation to New York.  If nothing else to keep the people I'm sending them to up to date with my whereabouts. :) and this is what I came up with.  

This idea would also work for pretty much any location, you would just cut out the state instead and pinpoint the city you live in.




this one is still awaiting my final touches...
this project turned out to be insanely time consuming and tomorrow I'm going to go to Kinko's to try to speed up the project with some color copies. :( fail. 
so... I don't recommend this if you need more then a handful of cards OR go for it if you have a ton of time on your hands.   

Supplies I used (but open to interpretation):

heavy card stock to be the foundation of the card
scrap booking paper in holiday colors & prints
a simple print out of the island of manhattan
fun holiday stickers & letters
rubber stamps & ink
a felt tip marker
a hot glue gun & scissors
embroidery floss & large needle
a safety pin to punch a few holes
& gold dome studs 
or whatever you feel like embellishing it with!


bottom right image shows my embellishments.  
I used red embroidery floss to indicate the NYC bridges.  
top to bottom: queensboro, williamsburg, manhattan & brooklyn.  
& I also attached a gold dome stud to the approximate location of my neighborhood within the city.
LES.





No comments:

Post a Comment